The incorporation of eco-friendly products into the packaging industries is widely acceptable by all walks of people around the world due to the positive impact it has been incurring to the environment. Companies following these eco-friendly packaging methods are taking their share of reducing waste and carbon footprint while processing the packaging in cost effective, safe and captivating manner.
Factors under consideration for eco-friendly packaging may consist:
- Low material usage: Less usage of packaging products, reduced packaging layers, less mass, low volume etc.
- Usage of compostable and biodegradable materials – Doesn’t exist for the long run, should not contaminate environment and back to the nature quality.
- Recyclability – Using materials that are easy to recycle. Recovery value.
- Reusable – Viable for repeated or reusable packaging, or may be for other purpose
- Less Energy – Minimization of energy usage for both production and supply of goods
- Climate effect – Causing no ozone layer disturbance and stimulation of green house gases such as methane and carbon-dioxide.
- Always not under the radar – Usage of materials that are harmful for human and environment
Eco-Friendly Packaging Materials
The leftover fibrous matter of the sugarcane that went under crushing is bagasse. It has been a packaging product for years with its environmental friendly characteristic like smart decomposition.
With the continual steps of heating followed by pulping and moulding bagasse invokes shape of products like plates, platters, bowls and cups highly manageable to use in microwave or freezer without any hitch.
Eco-Friendly Bagasse Products. Source: www.thechefshop.co.za
Palm leaf products
The thickness varying palm leaf products racks sumptuously stylish over the shelf of elegantly compostable products that serves to the requirement and takes sprint to join the nature.
Biodegradable Palm leaf plates, platter trays and bowls can be reused with a quick wash or wipe.
This so-natural product cracked out from the sources like vegetable fats, pea starch, corn starch shows the similarity of a usual plastic though embodied with the renewable and recycling characters. Unlike plastics taking big bout to form from the finite oil and hundreds of years to decompose the bioplastics are worthy to foster our environment with low green house gases impact.
Wood packaging involves utilization of wooden products that are made out from renewable plant resources for packaging of boxes, cases, drums, crates, pallets, box pallets and other similar packaging products to hold commodity.
The recycled paper packaging products contributes for the glory of environment through their inherited significant properties of compostable and biodegradable alongside some notably benefiting non-polluting, clean and safe characteristics. In addition the consumption of energy for the production of packaging products with the recycled paper acquires less than the products come out from trees.
Plant Starch Materials extracted from renewable crops are bio degradable plastics with the flexible nature. Starch derived from potatoes, corn, cassava root called Tapioca and grass fibers individually constitutes for the production of packaging products that are bio based. In addition, they are heat resistant and fits stringent to carry hot food.